Friday, June 02, 2006

My Husband Lurves Me

So, on Wednesday, The Professor made the ultimate sacrifice to prove his lurve for me.

What could that be? Diamond rings? Mink Coats?

God, no. He got into the car (he hates driving), and drove me to the middle of nowhere, to The Fold, which is in Maringo, Il, so that I could take a spinning lesson.

What the fuck is The Fold?

It's like heaven for fiber addicts.

It's a spinning/knitting shop. It's the same place where I bought Wheelie.

Okay, so back to how awsome Dr. Al is. After a two hour drive, with a stop at a Dairy Mart, for hamburgers...Great small-town stuff...little kids with dirty faces eating ice cream, and everybody sitting outside at picnic tables talking to each other, we got to The Fold. It's not like Dr. Al can just head to Starbucks and read, 'cause, yo', this shit is sort of remote. So he just sat outside patiently.

Because he loves me.

Pretty awsome, huh?

So, I sit down with Toni, who owns the shop, who is incredible. Super nice, not mean, very unjudgemental, and a lovely person.

And she tells me I'm doing everything pretty much right. She says that my form is fine, that my yarn is good, and that, in general, besides Wheelie's mystery noise, things look good.

She gives me a couple of tips, and tells me to fill my bobbin more carefully, and gives me free shit! (a WPI gauge/Diz...which only means something to spinners)

She compliments the roving I'm spinning with. I tell her I dyed it.
She tells me it's pretty. I leave it for her. Why?

She's like a goddess, and she liked my shit.

I have never seen another live human being spin before. It was great. I wish I could go to a guild, or find another spinner in the area, who is cool, but I don't think there are any.

Maybe someday.

This week, I dyed. I've made tons of pretty colors, and, at some point, I'll move everything dye-related upstairs, to the old kitchen. All my finished yarns from this round of dye-related insantity will be named after H.P. Lovecraft monsters.

No comments: