Thursday, May 04, 2006

Happy Global Warming Spring!

We are having an ungodly mild spring in Chicago. The tulips are in full bloom, the iris that I planted have come and gone, we're waiting on the blue flag iris(a later bloom) the croci have shot their load, and the huge, purple ornamental onions that I planted (they look like globes of purple coolness), two are ready to bloom.

I say what the fuck? Last year, nothing was up yet, because it was still too cold.

The plants all say 'Dude, we're fucking -on- this summer. Bring it.'

The fucking peonies are going to blossom in the next few weeks. Last year, it was late June.

I have food-ready rhubarb already.

We planted a honeysuckle bush this spring that has already sprung into bloom. WTF? Seriously.

I expect snow in July. Really. This is just really fucked up.

This is going to be a long, hot summer, and I hope that it's not going to be a scanty on the rain supply as last year, but I don't think my hope is going to change the fact that our climate is changing.

It's a spooky reminder right in my own back yard that we, have fucked the planet up, and that things are just going to get weirder.

I hope we run out of oil soon.


Next Saturday, I'm taking my yarn to the Empty Bottle for the alternative crafts fair. I have soooo little yarn. It's going to be interesting to see if I can kick my lazy ass into gear and produce between here and next Saturday.

Dr. Al is taking students to Mammoth Cave next week, so perhaps with nobody to bother me, I mean, distract me, I can get some serious face time in with wheelie.

Wish me luck.

No comments: